[Amps] current threads about silver solder and resoldering

Bill Fuqua wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Sun Sep 2 13:53:21 EDT 2012

Right now I am speaking of lead and tin only.
  With out a uniform ratio the plastic region is extended over a broader
range of temperature. This is where some material is melted and some is not
on a microscopic scale.
As one materials science book put it, the atoms exchange electrons and
"loosely" form molecules but in a way that you can call them compounds.
When the ratio is exactly 3 and the alloy is homogenous the
plastic region is completely eliminated. It is more than a mixture of
materials, it is an alloy. When you plate lead and tin on a PC board it is
not an alloy it has to be fused, melted,
so that the materials can diffuse though each other to become a homogenous
alloy.
   I did not say that all integer ratios are eutectic, only 3.