[Amps] Load testing HV power supplies

TexasRF at aol.com TexasRF at aol.com
Mon Sep 24 20:26:34 EDT 2012

Hi Chris, I have tested power supplies using a dummy load made up from a
string of 25 watt wire wound resistors. They have a maximum voltage rating of
 300v typically so it will take quite a few of them.

In my case, they were mounted on a wood board, 1" X 5" and about 3 ft long
using ordinary wood screws. It ain't pretty but it does the job.

There is no reason the same kind of load couldn't be used to test
transformers. With a large number of resistors in series, you can pick off what
ever load resistance is needed.

Do take care as the high voltage is sitting there waiting to attack!

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 9/24/2012 5:20:16 P.M. Central Daylight Time,