[Amps] Sad News for Eimac Users

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 06:15:01 EDT 2012

.

> But for new design, I think one would need to be blind not to see the
> writing on the wall. Take the hint!
>
> When in the 1970s receiving tubes started to get more expensive and harder
> to find, while transistors were already dirt cheap and very good, there were
> still many designers who were reluctant to learn their trade anew. They kept
> designing with tubes,

etc. etc.

 Probably existing stock will
> last nostalgics for several decades, so don't cry, but the technically
> sensible thing to do is to leave this old technology behind and take
> advantage of the modern developments.

Except that we're in this to have fun (mostly) and not make money
(maybe a few of us are but most of us are not) and tubes are fun; and
little delicate ceramic thingies that need a lot of current, can't
handle mis-matches and need conductive grease and heat sinks are
what's the word?....boring.

And, as you say there's probably enough tubes out there so any middle
aged man will be fertilizing dirt by the time they are gone so why
should we care.

And, in case you haven't noticed, MOSFETs get discontinued all the
time, maybe more than tubes.

I agree with you that one should dump designs involving ceramic
tubes--glass is far more interesting and fun.   Three or four 3-500Zs
in chimneys...that's a beautiful thing.  Give me a pair of triode
connected 4-1000As any day.

73

Rob
K5UJ