[Amps] Heathkit SB-1000 On RTTY

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 06:31:37 EDT 2012

The max plate current isn't the issue.  the 400 ma spec. is what it is
and can be continuous.

The issues for 100% continuous duty cycle transmission are plate
dissipation (are you exceeding 500 watts?), cooling for the tube, and
the continuous current capability of the power supply.  As always the
grid current must be kept below 130 ma.

If the supply can deliver your 400 ma continuously and you have the
amp tuned up right (I would not push for more than around 600 w. from
a single 3-500) and you are really blasting a lot of air on the tube
(and the pins!) you should be okay near 400 ma.  I bet if your output
tank circuit is good you'll get plenty of power for a reasonable Ep of
3 KV dc @ much less, around 300 ma.  If your heathkit amp has a wimpy
p.s. and/or "quiet" cooling all bets are off.

73

Rob
K5UJ