[Amps] This Month's QST Article

Steve Thompson g8gsq72 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 03:19:17 EDT 2012

I haven't seen QST but have built some 1kW amps using the current
crop of LDMOS transistors - several for 144MHz, 50odd for 200MHz
pulsed applications.

27dB gain - yes, that's what you get. I haven't seen the >70%
efficiency figures others have reported.

There's lots of examples out there, look up F1JRD, F1TE, W6PQL to
name a few off the top of my head.

F1JRD tested an amp with 10ms pulses into all phases of very high
VSWR and it survived, so if you use a SWR trip that acts faster
than that an amp should survive mishaps at the output.

Steve