[Amps] Novel Screen Grid Regulator

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Thu Sep 27 12:52:18 EDT 2012

Jim,

Very interesting circuit since the MOSFETs function like a high-power,
active voltage divider.  I did note that the non-inverting input to U1a may
be susceptible to the effects of both the normal screen voltage and perhaps
a flash from the screen.  However, provided that Z1 acts quickly enough and
R10 remains intact, then concern is probably minimized.  Still, it may make
sense to Zener-clamp the non-inverting op-amp input to a level just above
the value found in normal operation.  Then, if adding Zener-clamping, I
think it would be a good practice to add series R at the non-inverting input
of 1K.  The input Z to the non-inverting input of the LM358 is quite high,
allowing for some additional series R protection.

Paul, W9AC