[Amps] original thread: Peter Dahl transformers, remark about capacitors for switching supplies

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Wed Apr 3 18:05:38 EDT 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Turner" <dezrat1242 at yahoo.com>
To: "Amps" <amps at contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 2:35 PM
Subject: Re: [Amps] original thread: Peter Dahl transformers,remark about
capacitors for switching supplies

Start with the 160M lowest reactance disc cap you can scare up at the base
of the plate choke. A .0047 is adequate for a sane power level and a good RF
choke.

Then add a healthy glitch resistor and bypass the other end also.The
resistor has inductance and is self resonant somewhere in the 50-150 MHz
range for the 20-25W variety. For the 3-500 and similar I also use a 10 Ohm
20W in series and .001 bypassed as that is good for the parasitic frequency.
Some amps have an unstable layout and need all the help they can get; in a
SB-220 RFC-2 is replaced by that resistor.

Any further potentional damage to diodes and filter caps comes from
switching spikes and each complete string should be bypased with an adequate
.005/.0047 disc and another to ground at the HV output point.

 Some add a 1N5408 reverse connected across each cap as a crowbar and a very
fast fault trip.

Carl
KM1H