[Amps] Getting a blower out of the shack

Chris Wilson chris at chriswilson.tv
Tue Apr 9 17:30:34 EDT 2013

> I have a homebrew amp with a blower mounted on the back of the
> chassis.  The blower has a flat flange, and the chassis has a
> rectangular hole cut in it to match.
> What I would like to do, to reduce blower noise, is to remote the
> blower about 6 feet away (actually into the basement immediately below the amplifier rack.)
> I need a means of converting the blower flange to a round hose, and
> the compliment of that at the amplifier.  I will run the 6 feet of
> hose through the sheetrock wall, and down through the sole plate
> into the basement, so the maximum hose diameter is 3.5 inches (it
> will go through a 2 X 4 sole plate).
> Any ideas where to get parts I would need?

> Rick  K2XT

09/04/2013 22:27

You might want to look at some of the race car sites for brake cooling
ducting hose, for the pipe. As for converting the flanges you will
probably find it best to get someone to TIG weld some aluminium tube
to an aluminium flange, ideally crafting the tube end from round to
rectangular to form a smooth duct transition. You could codge it up by
using round hose to rectangular flanges, and duct taping the ends, but
it will be a bit Heath Robinson.

--
       Best Regards,
                   Chris Wilson.