[Amps] Tuned input design / measurement questions

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Tue Apr 16 21:26:26 EDT 2013

Hi Chris,

You may not be able to measure the impedance as you are trying to do as the
tube impedance changes quite a bit with plate current. At full power as
listed in the spec sheet the average impedance should be close to what the
spec sheet says.

Placing the 50 ohm resistor across the output of the input network should
get you close provided that you have the tube in the socket as the pi
network output capacitance uses in part the grid to plate capacitance of the
tube to tune it. On 27 MHz this will be a large part of the output
capacitance of the network.

I am not familiar with the AIM analyzer but what I see on the chart with the
50 ohm resistor and tube in circuit looks like it is doing what you would
expect.

Just remember that your input SWR to the input network will vary as drive
power is applied as the tube input impedance changes with power. So you
would probably see the best SWR for the original circuit when the amp is
operated at its intended power level with intended drive power, plate tuned
and loaded properly to deliver the power to the load.
Anything else and the input SWR will not be as intended.

Note that when using a pi network to match 50 ohms (input) to 50 ohms
(output) the input and output capacitors will be nearly the same value. The
output capacitor will be minus the amount of tube capacitance.

73
Gary  K4FMX