[Amps] Solid state amp comparisons

Al Kozakiewicz akozak at hourglass.com
Wed Apr 24 20:11:47 EDT 2013

I own an AL-600.  I don't currently use it as I don't have the operating space for it right now.  It was fine for the kind of DX chasing I could realistically do at the old home QTH with an HF2V vertical and a G5RV.    I have an AL-1500 here and it is the contesting workhorse.

With a switching PS, the AL-600 is very light and will travel well.  On the other hand, the occasional RTTY contest I would do from the old home was limited to S&P.  Calling CQ for more than about 10-15 minutes was all it could handle before the thermal protection kicked in.  It's not a serious DXpedition amp IMO.

If you do casual operating and mostly CW and SSB, it's OK for the price.  I have to believe that just about anything else is better, though.

I'd trade it for an AL-82B in a heartbeat if anyone is interested ;^).

Al
AB2ZY