[Amps] Measuring tank coil inductance

Vic K2VCO k2vco.vic at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 11:49:29 EDT 2013

Yes, I stand corrected. The word ESTIMATE was used! A lot.

I was just surprised at how different the value from the load line was, since I've seen
the formula for estimating the impedance using the k factor in numerous places.

What I did was, first of all, to extrapolate the Eimac constant current curve graph to 3.2
kV (it only goes up to 3 kV). I felt justified in doing this because the ZSAC at -60v on
the grid and 325v on the screen was flat from 500 to 3000 plate volts.

Then I followed G4AXX and selected a minimum point of plate voltage at 750v, corresponding
to a grid voltage of -25v, because this corresponds to a maximum screen current just under
50 mA, which is the trip point for the overcurrent circuit of the screen.

Here is G4AXX's example of load lines for 2.5, 2.75 and 3 kV:
http://www.granta.g4axx.com/Linear_Design_notes/loadline4.gif
3.2 kV is represented by the right edge of the graph. If you draw another line from point
A to where the extrapolated curve that represents a ZSAC of 250 mA hits that edge, you get
a load line whose slope represents 1815 ohms.

So why did I use 3.2 kV instead of a lower voltage? Because the transformer I have can
produce either 3.2kV or 2.65 kV under load and I felt that it would be pushing things to
try to get a clean 1500 watts at the lower voltage. For once I am trying to build an
amplifier that will be safe to use on SSB as well as CW, just in case I should want to!

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA