[Amps] OTA TV

Fuqua, Bill L wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Sun Aug 4 13:15:22 EDT 2013

  The big winners were the TV manufacturers. People ditching the old tv sets and buying new ones
boost their profits considerably. Also those that manufactured the conversion boxes that were purchased
with coupons from the government.
  We had one station that had hoped to extend their range by being on VHF. They installed their new transmitter
and antenna and received nothing but complaints from even local customers. The problem was that everyone was
buying these "Digital TV Antennas" from Radio Shack and other vendors. The problem was that they were all UHF
only antennas. They ended up ditching their new transmitter and going UHF. That had to cost them.
  This is the only time in the history of TV that a system was developed where the signals could not be received by an older TV set.
Until now you could watch TV on a 1950's TV set. If I recall, there were l systems proposed that could be received by both
analog and digital receivers.
73
Bill wa4lav