[Amps] NFB vs IMD question

Larry Benko xxw0qe at comcast.net
Wed Aug 7 12:25:08 EDT 2013

Jim,

I believe you are measuring the IMD of the K3 or at least seeing results
that are influenced by the K3.   I have made IMD measurements of the K3
and they are not that great and were the best at the 30-40W level.  I
built a simple fixture for IMD testing that used 2 separate transmitters
and had IMD3 of better than 60dB.  See
http://www.w0qe.com/Technical_Topics/imd_testing_of_amplifiers.html

NXP has an app note describing how much better the source IMD needs to
be in order to measure the output IMD to a certain level of
uncertainty.  Do a search for "NXP RF transmitting transistor and power
amplifier fundamentals" and it is table 3.1.  This paper is better than
any other doc I have seen for transistor high power amps.  It discusses
many other transmitter topics such as bias level etc. vs IMD.  This
paper does NOT have the usual NXP ECOxxxxx prefix and has a 1998 date.
Other testing I have done shows that to have really good IMD you need to
significantly under drive the amp.  Some 300W Freescale LDMOS parts were
great at the 100W level and OK at 150W.  Beyond 150W the IMD began a
constant rise.  Unfortunately backing down the output level kills the
efficiency.

I thought the same as you about increasing negative feedback. However
there is just not enough excess gain to make much of a difference if the
goal is increasing IMD3 from 30dB to say 40dB. Simulations in LTSpice
unfortunately confirmed the measurements.  A big downside of negative
feedback is the reduction in input impedance.  To really drive the IMD
lower you would need another gain stage within the negative feedback
loop.  Source degeneration is a good idea and it increases input
impedance while reducing gain.

These are my opinions and are at least backed up by measurements and
simulations but I am not a high power amp expert.

73,
Larry, W0QE