[Amps] AL-82 No output on 160m. Resolution

Alek Petkovic vk6apk at bigpond.com
Mon Aug 12 20:02:36 EDT 2013

On 13/08/2013 3:53 AM, Bill Turner wrote:
> ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)
>
> On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 00:21:39 GMT, K6XX wrote:
>

>> Thanks to all that responded with assistance ideas for the AL-82 no-output on 160m. I had concentrated on the burned plate choke and the load padder wire that fell off when touched. Neither lead to the cause. A stray piece of plastic in the bottom of the RF section pointed to one of the doorknob capacitors. Hey! There are two doorknobs switched into the Plate as padders only on 160m!   One of them is cracked and pieces are missing.
>>
>> Replacing the cracked doorknob immediately restored 160m operation.
>>
>> C U on the air.
>>
>> 73 de Bob, K6XX
>>
> REPLY:
>
> Glad you got it working Bob, but in case the doorknobs ever fail again, you
> might consider replacing them with some of the Russian doorknobs available
> on eBay. I have used dozens of them in my homebrew amps and like most
> Russian equipment, they are built like a tank. Nothing subtle about Russian
> stuff - it is made to last. FWIW.
>
> 73, Bill W6WRT

Yeah, by all means. If ya wanna pay too much, buy them on Ebay.
If you'd rather get a proper deal and help a worthy cause at the same
time, then get your Russki stuff from Dr Alex, UR4LL.

See http://www.ur4ll.net/

The profits from his sales go to the local hospital, where he is a
leading figure. By buying from the doctor, you are getting the best
possible service, price, advice and quality and you are helping improve
the world for many thousands of people.

Check his site often. It is updated regularly. Catch him on Skype and
he'll show you your stuff, live on camera, as he weighs it and quotes
the postage for you.

73, Alek
VK6APK