[Amps] 3cx800 flashover ?

Carel, pc5m pc5m at xs4all.nl
Sat Aug 24 11:38:22 EDT 2013

Hi, small report on my 3cx800 project...

After more than 24hrs heather on (didn’t dear to let it running unattended overnight...) first test did show indeed improved vacuum ! flashovers started at higher idle current. So let it heat some hours with reduced idle current (50mA or so, dissipating around 150W, considerable more than heather power). Apparently that did the trick !. After some RF tweaking I just got stable 700W key down output (@ 432MHz) with approx. 20W drive, so good enough as a QRP backup during next contest :-) ... and no sign of flashovers.

Don’t know if those tube are known to exhibit reverse grid current ? See approx 20mA of reverse grid current at full output.

BTW, How do you have to calculate grid dissipation when having reverse grid current ? I don't think DC grid current * DC cathode-grid voltage is anymore valid in that case ?

73's Carel, pc5m