[Amps] Electron HOLE flow

jim.linda at roadrunner.com jim.linda at roadrunner.com
Wed Aug 28 02:59:46 EDT 2013

When I first went to school to study electronics they taught the theory called Hole Flow.  Lets start with the idea that there may be more than one way to have a free electron looking for a home.  When an electron is released from an atom he looks for another atom to nest.  The receiving atom has to release one when that happens.  It's against the rules to have an extra one that doesn't belong there.  So as current flows there are atoms receiving an electron and in turn releasing an electron.  Not all the atoms in a material are so lucky to receive the gift of a free electron, but if it is, it has to releases one also.  The process of receiving one and releasing one is called "hole flow" and for a short time the atom that lost one has a hole, but when it receives one again it is a happy camper.  Musical chairs is a good way of visualizing it.  My two cents worth.