[Amps] Electron HOLE flow

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Wed Aug 28 18:06:09 EDT 2013

On 8/28/2013 2:33 PM, peter chadwick wrote:

>   Message Received: Aug 28 2013, 07:31 PM
>   From: "peter chadwick" <g8on at fsmail.net>
>   To: "Mike Waters" <mikewate at gmail.com>
>   Subject: Re: [Amps] Electron HOLE flow
>
>   Scroggie's 1960 book "Principles of Semiconductors" talks of 'holes', and the idea was old then.
  I always found it confusing, especially when we got into majority and
minority conductors in transistors.

If you have to worry about minority carriers in a circuit, there's a
problem with the circuit.<:-))  Then again I never had to deal with
minority carriers except in the lab and lifetime measurements, or
explaining the theory.  With the trades, that was where the vacant
stares came in.

They are usually only a problem when building devices and setting
frequency limits.

>   32 years in the semiconductor business and I much prefer tubes!

They aren't so bad, but I've always found electron flow easier to
explain to students.

Electron flow is real, while conventional current is a convenience  "at
times."

73

Roger (K8RI)