[Amps] hot keying the amp?

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Wed Feb 13 14:28:26 EST 2013

Apart from the K2, notice that T6 is less than T3, resulting in so-called
"dit shortening."  Adding back the right amount of lead time to the RF
envelope through either hardware or software pulse-stretching is easy and
yet, few manufacturers "get" the concept.  The amount stretching needed is
irrespective of CW speed; it's mostly a fixed value although often, the
duration of required pulse stretching is different between full and semi QSK
modes - but it doesn't need to be that way.  For example, early Ten Tec's
(Omni VI and earlier), ran full QSK with receive recovery time being the
only variable that changed between the two QSK modes.  Scope timing displays
appear identical, regardless of the QSK setting.

Paul, W9AC