[Amps] Peter Dahl transformers

Jeff Blaine keepwalking188 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 14 13:50:50 EST 2013

He eventually called the one I bought 1.4 KVA CCS.   I draw about 1800 KVA
from it in RTTY contest duty and the surface temp of the core never gets
over about 45c.

In fact, I was worried about the tradeoff of a high temp rise spec and even
with the 200C components used, figured keeping an eye on the core temp would
be a good idea.  So I had him build inside a thermistor which I had measured
R vs. temp before hand.

But the transformer never warmed up as much as the "CCS" model forecasted
and I never implemented the temp monitor.

Even for RTTY contest duty, what guys probably "need" out of a transformer
is what we called ICAS 5/5 back in the day.  That core takes a lot longer
than 5 minutes to cool down very much and it seems to me that it's a more
applicable spec unless you are an AM or RTTY rag chewer where you like to
ramble on for 30 minutes at a stretch.

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie