[Amps] Peter Dahl transformers

Manfred Mornhinweg manfred at ludens.cl
Fri Feb 15 19:59:39 EST 2013

Hello,

may I weigh in on this matter?

> Intelligent design is to remote a heavy duty transformer option as was done
> by Amp Supply. The built in transformer was fine for the casual op.

I would say that intelligent design is to get rid of big, heavy,
expensive power transformers, and instead use switching power supplies.
They are FAR more complex, sure, but they cost far less, weigh one tenth
as much, provide tightly regulated output voltage, and short circuit
protection.

Taking intelligent design a bit further, it involves using high
efficiency power amplifiers instead of class AB, causing a 30 to 40%
reduction in power requirements.

And taking it another step further, it involves synthesizing the TX
signal right at the 1.5kW level from its phase and amplitude components.
The entire transmitter basically becomes a big RF MOSFET bridge
controlled by an programmable logic array chip. The power source can be
simply the rectified and filtered mains. This is current technology in
the commercial area right now, but to most hams it sounds like
lightyears ahead.

Sure, sure, the homely glow of tube filaments (and plates). I love it
too. But it's just not intelligent anymore. It was, 80 years ago.

Manfred