[Amps] SHV connectors...

Steve Thompson g8gsq72 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 03:39:50 EST 2013

I think the 1900V rating applies under circumstances which are
very different from using the cable with SHV connectors.

The breakdown voltage for polyethylene is something around
20kV/mm. I have tested different brands of RG58 for breakdown - if
the centre dielectric is long enough so that the open end does not
arc, I have never seen breakdown at the 16kV limit of my tester.

SHV connectors assembled with RG58 are rated for 5kV+, for
example, MDC Vacuum in the UK have a version rated for 10kV with
RG58 specified as the cable to use.

Steve