[Amps] Peter Dahl Transformers

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Tue Feb 19 16:36:40 EST 2013

On 2/16/2013 7:40 AM, Jim Thomson wrote:
> Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 10:59:08 -0600
> From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo at gmail.com>
> To: Bill Turner <dezrat1242 at yahoo.com>
> Cc: Amps <amps at contesting.com>
> Subject: Re: [Amps] Peter Dahl Transformers
>
> I take it the intelligent design is the one where you are not
> dissipating heat and running a fan and wasting power.
> Don't forget to employ an under rated transmission line matching
> network that also has to be fan cooled.
>

> 73
>
> Rob
> K5UJ
>
> ##  Nothing wrong with running a small, low speed fan in any HV supply. The temp inside the
> cab should be the same as the room temp.  It’s worth it to keep the plate xfmr, hv electrolytics, bleeders,
> eq resistors, and any glitch resistor cool.

I use filters that are like a very fine screen. They can be pulled out
and cleaned with an air gub, but usually a vacuum is more than sufficient.

They run and run and run in the shop.  6 months usually shows very
little accumulation, BUT  I run a whole shop filter usually let it run
all day if I do any welding, cutting, sanding, sawing, or grinding.
Before the shop filter you could hardly see across the shop after 10
minutes of welding. Since I installed the filter the air stays clear
rearguards of how long I'm welding.

The house is a different matter. We have carpets and cats.  It doesn't
matter if you vacuum every day, the filters load up with a very fine
dust while the cat hair accumulates on the grating over the screens.  It
is a weekly job and BTW we have both an electrostatic whole house filter
and portable Hepa filters.

Carpets, Humans, and pets really raise the need for cleaning and my den
is an off the beaten path location...Although my cat has been known to
make late night visits to check on me.

73

Roger (K8RI)