[Amps] reasonable design

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Sat Feb 23 01:18:56 EST 2013

On 2/21/2013 4:04 PM, John Lyles wrote:
> I have followed recent threads that go back and forth about cooling transformers and use of switch mode technology for HV. I have two practical examples that I will share that demonstrate that these things can go either way, there is no hard rule these days, not to mention individual preference and acceptable design risk. I am not suggesting that I did the right things, but after lengthy testing and use, the decisions were the right ones. I know that we hams can be quite stubborn to try new things, and often good old heavy iron technology is just fine. These are just examples, nothing to force anyone to be uncomfortable with a choice.

We use the reactors to control the 440 "single phase into very large
tapped transformers that provided curren for resistance.

IIRC the saturable core reactors (SCRs) weighed several tons each. As
power requirements went up they were replaced with a pair of SCRs
(Silicon Controlled Rectifiers) about the size of a hock puck that were
water cooled.  those power transformers were large enough to tip good
size fork lift up on end.

BTW we used Mag amps to control the reactors.

73

Roger (K8RI)