[Amps] Freescale and NXP VHF LDMOS Fets

John Lyles jtml at losalamos.com
Sat Feb 23 11:41:00 EST 2013

The newest LDMOS high power transistors are being grabbed up by
commercial amplifier production, for HDTV (band II VHF and into UHF) and
FM broadcast amplifiers and for scientific. I didn't mention military,
but I'm sure its there too. For instance, Harris broadcast has been
using the Freescale parts, and had done a lot of development testing for
them. Engineers at Argonne National Laboratory have been developing very
high power solid state units, over 100 kW, using them at 350 MHz. Again,
lots of interaction with the manufacturer to work out the bugs.
Overseas, I have heard from reputable designers who like the NXP 'XR'
better, one story suggesting that the Freescale parts were originally
too nervous and would oscillate at high frequency (UHF/Lband) easily.

In December we took delivery of a first piece of a 5.5 kW pulsed amp at
200 MHz, to use as a predriver. They will eventually replace our six
1995-vintage units used a box full of MRF151G-like devices at 24 VDC,
with linear power supply, 3 phase. These are obsolete amplifiers now, as
the mfr is out of the biz and no longer supports parts. So the new
Communications Power Corporation amp uses (I think) the Freescale LDMOS,
and only needs 8-12 devices compared to 64 of the older DMOS devices at
lower voltage. We are just about to install it to drive the first tetrode.

These new LDMOS transistors are rather costly, comparable with a 3-500Z
for power in a device, more fragile but higher Gain x Bandwidth.

For HF and below, of course, plastic switching MOSFETs are still the
least expensive way to get high power, and can be run above 50 V. You
can see many results on the Class E amplifier Forum online, where a
number of hams are building kW-level modules for AM transmitters with
PDM modulator. Neat stuff!
73
John
K5PRO