[Amps] looking for assistance with MLA-2500 tank circuit rework

Chris Miller c_miller_1 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 2 12:07:13 EST 2013

Pretty sure I have it.  I pulled as much info on the various conversions to
see what the history of the changes were.  Mainly was looking for any
significant differences to see if maybe there was a preferred method.  The
actual conversion has already been completed by the previous owner.

The tank circuit originally seemed to progressively get worse and worse as
you went down in frequency, for load capacitance being too small, until you
got to 40m - 160m, at which point you reached full mesh.  It was not way way
off though, as there was some peaking of power output just not enough to
actually reach the resonance point.  Pretty well the same behavior I have
now except I managed to make it happen on all bands.  Oddly enough, when it
is swept with the VNA it looks ok.

After staring at the spec sheets for the tubes again, I tried to change the
value of the tube resonance load resistance during sweep tests to 1350 ohms,
if my thinking is right two tubes in parallel, to see if it would produce
the same operation I was seeing during my dummy load tests.  It actually had
the opposite effect.  Most bands had way too much load capacitance for
resonance.  Fully reinstalling the covers with screws rather than just
placing them in place had little effect on the sweep tests.

Another user of this old gear reported that, both modified and not, these
amps were shy on capacitance and that extra capacitance had to be added for
80 and 160.  I am beginning to think that the values of the RF caps are
pulling under power, but I would have expected the pull to change with the
level of power.  It is more likely though I am not understanding the
interpretation of the spec sheet completely.

I was reminded that the 3cx800 is twice as capable as the original tube,
even more when you read the fine print on the 8875.  The 8875 shows a duty
cycle on some of the values of 50% so there is less power available for
modes like RTTY etc.  I am going to try, for curiosity sake, to see if it
will run with just one tube.  Thinking is, if the values work for one tube I
end up with a spare.  The downside is I throw away headroom.

Chris
VE3CEA