[Amps] New 4-1000 Tubes ?

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Mon Jan 7 10:25:03 EST 2013

On 1/7/2013 9:32 AM, Hsu wrote:
> Why few amp manufacturer use GU-81M,?it is cheap and rugged.

Probably because the manufacturers data sheet de-rates the GU-81 rapidly
as you go up in frequency.  Few home brewers OTOH run them within their
ratings.  According to builders in Europe they run 3 KW out of a pair
with no forced air cooling.  Apparently this is a tube that can really
be abused and still hold up.  I have no idea as to the IM when used like
this, but Carl might.

A pair do make a nice looking amp that is also quiet. I've been playing
with the idea of a pair on 160 through 40 or even single band.

73 Roger (K8RI)