[Amps] Question about separate power supply/RF section amp

Bill Turner dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 17 17:05:45 EST 2013

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:
On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 13:00:07 -0800, K2VCO wrote:

<snip>
>Is this a safe arrangement? I am thinking of adding another diode from B- to chassis in
>the RF section. I don't see how this could hurt, but it might help clamp the voltage in
>the event of an arc.

REPLY:
It is pretty safe, but I would suggest using a total of four diodes,
two back-to-back in the PS and two back-to-back in the RF deck.

Normally you only need one diode for protection from arcs to ground,
but someone posted here years ago how a weird combination of an arc
plus a broken ground could require a second diode, reverse connected
to the first one. Cheap insurance.

Bill, W6WRT