[Amps] Question about separate power supply/RF section

Jim Garland 4cx250b at miamioh.edu
Sat Jan 19 16:47:03 EST 2013

No, the B- is only grounded at the RF deck, at the same spot that the
cathodes are grounded. To steer the cathode current properly, it is
important that the B- lead NOT be grounded at the power supply. If it were
grounded, then you are correct that it would merely be a parallel connection
with the other ground wires. However, a single point ground is what is
required.

There will be a negligible voltage difference between the power supply/rf
deck chassis and the B- lead, because of the single point. If the power
supply should become completely disconnected from the RF deck, then the 220
ohm resistor, mentioned in my earlier email, will keep the B- at the same
potential as the power supply ground, within a volt or two.

I don't want to push the analogy too far, but in your house wiring there is
a single point ground between neutral and the bare ground, which is at the
utility entrance. The single point ground keeps the Neutral line at ground
potential, but also keeps any return currents from flowing in the bare
ground wire.  It the same concept we're talking about here.

73,

Jim W8ZR

  _____