[Amps] SB-220 help

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Mon Jul 15 11:13:42 EDT 2013

The full list of SB-220/221 bulletins is on the Web and at
https://puck.nether.net/pipermail/heath/1998-January/028165.html
Bulletin 27 is the pertinent one. It took one hit to find after typing
"SB-220 service bulletins".

A different search term came up with this.
http://www.nostalgickitscentral.com/heath/Service_Bulletins/sb220.txt

Those other links do not address the question and are not changes I would
suggest.

The factory way puts a full 120-130VDC into the cathode at all times in
standby.

The "alternates" do not protect for a sudden gas arc that may have been
prevented if the full 120V was applied, instead of only 25V, ALL THE TIME
since many shorts/arcs occur suddenly when in standby. While the resistor
bias method has been common for many decades long before Measures, the
resistor is sized for a higher cutoff, usually a 33-47K. OTOH with the
prevailing problems with 3-500 gas from all manufacturers it does not go far
enough. The AL-82 and 80B (as well as out of production amps from Ameritron
and others) are notorious for letting loose in standby with a lot of
resultant damage a good part of the time. Hard grounded grids just expedite
the damage wheras the choke usually opens; or use a 24 Ohm 1/2W resistor.

Adding a fuse to T2 is a good idea as well as replacing RFC-2 with a glitch
resistor and the slow circuit breakers with fast acting fuses. Grid fuses
are another possibility.

C4 is a weak link in those amps as very few bother to monitor the standby
bias on a regular basis and as the cap ages and leakage develops the voltage
goes down and hum ripple goes up.

To minimize gas arcs run the tubes with color on a regular basis, a dark
orange for Eimac and other sheet metal anodes and a bright red on the lower
2 rows on graphites. An easy way to do this is to operate as an AM linear
with 20W of carrier and about 250W out which is the safe limit for the
rather wimpy SB-220 transformer. An hour or so of enjoyable ragchewing once
a month is sufficient; DO NOT do long winded old buzzard transmissions. The
original Eimacs are still in the LK-500ZC I have had since new in 86 and
with the optional external HD Dahl xfmr PAC-5 I can run 350-400W carrier as
long as I want with the very quiet EBM Papst 4600N fan. Many modern SS rigs
sound decent on AM once set up properly and the SDR's sound great.

Carl
KM1H