[Amps] The Pin One Problem

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Jun 6 18:15:25 EDT 2013

On 6/6/2013 2:22 PM, Peter Voelpel wrote:
> There is not much ham gear on the market with a pin 1.
> And in consumer audio equipment it is rather RCA then XLR.

The Pin One Problem applies to ALL equipment with a cable shield, and to
both balanced and unbalanced wiring. See the tutorials.  It is simply
CALLED The Pin One Problem because a guy working in pro audio (Neil
Muncy, ex-W3WJE, now SK) figured it out, and that's what he chose to
call it.

Power supplies can have Pin One-like problems -- many Astrons do. The
green wire is required by law to go to the chassis. In reality, it goes
to the mounting lug of a 4-wire terminal strip, which, in all three of
the big Astron linear's I owned, was insulated from the chassis by
paint.  It's been a while, but as I recall, another connection to that
lug went to circuit common. In at least one of those units, the two
major pieces of the chassis were also insulated from each other by
paint.  I've heard more than one anecdotal report of Astron's having RFI
issues.

73, Jim K9YC