[Amps] Racal TTA1885/TA1823

Chris Wilson chris at chriswilson.tv
Fri Jun 7 08:04:33 EDT 2013

> Good afternoon,

> I am seeking guidance on the replacement air filter material to be used
> for the 1kw Racal TA1823 4CX1500B amplifier which is part of the TTA1885
> transmitter unit. The original air filter material is a black plastic
> foam, which is now disintegrating to dust. There appears to be no
> reference to the foam material used or the metal framed foam filter panels
> installed, in the handbook/parts listings, so I do not know if the air
> filter panels were to be replaced or the filter material washed/replaced.

> Assuming that the air filter material was intended to be replaced and in
> order to obtain the appropriate material, what specification, air
> flow/particle size etc. would be required for this Racal equipment, which
> I believe was intended for continuous traffic at 1kw output.

> If anyone out there has a working knowledge of this Racal equipment, I
> would appreciate their comment.

> 73, sincerely, John. G3JVC/GM3JVC.

07/06/2013 13:01

Twin density race car air filter foam is good for most filtration
purposes on radio and test gear. It won't have much impedance on air
flow even in small surface area configurations, and many are washable.

I am in the UK, so specific recommendations for quality foams are
perhaps not much use, but Pipercross and Ram_air are ones I commonly
use. All my HP test gear has filters cut from sheet material and the
fan are neither struggling nor trying to suck in the material. It will
cut with an sharp blade, and is available in small sheets.

--
       Best Regards,
                   Chris Wilson.