[Amps] Advice needed for SS amp

Ron Youvan ka4inm at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 12:21:22 EDT 2013

   On 06/07/2013 11:49 AM, Manfred Mornhinweg wrote:

> What I miss, in terms of availability, are capacitors suitable for
> building good, safe, legal limit low pass filters, that don't blow up
> even at somewhat elevated SWR. What we need for that are capacitors in
> the range of about 68pF to 4.7nF, each rated at one kilovolt AT LEAST,
> and 6 to 12 amperes of RF current. And since we need about 18 to 45 of
> them, depending on what sort of filter bank we want to build for an amp,
> they shouldn't cost an arm and a leg each. That problem seems so hard to
> solve, that so far I have resorted to home made copper/mica capacitors.
> But making these capacitors to the correct values is always
> hit-and-miss, because the mica sheets are of varying thickness.

> Does anyone have a good hint about this?

   I do not know what the breakdown Voltage or dielectric constant are,
but the "cover sips" are uniform very thin square (~3/4") glass plates
used to cover the specimens under a microscope, the much thicker "slide"
(~3/4" x 2") might be an alternative.
--
   Ron  KA4INM - Youvan's corollary:
                 Every action results in unwanted side effects.