[Amps] The Pin One Problem

Jim Garland 4cx250b at miamioh.edu
Fri Jun 7 18:55:47 EDT 2013

Joe,
I'm not sure why you think the StationPro causes problems in interfacing to
amateur equipment. The problems a few StationPro builders have encountered
with hum in their microphone circuits have all been traced to improperly
configuring their mic connections. The most common problem has been when a
builder hooks up a vintage mic which uses the shield as the audio return
(along with the PTT return). My little writeup on the topic describes a
workaround for this situation. In actuality, the StationPro does not share
any signals or power with any of a transceiver's microphone connections. It
is, in effect, nothing more than an eight-conductor extension cord (one for
each microphone pin), completely isolated from all desired or undesired
power sources.

That said, I believe your comments about problemmatic RF chokes between the
Mic- line and transceiver ground are well taken, when using audio
accessories which allow microphone leads to share other currents. As I
recall, Elecraft eventually solved their "pin 1" problem by jumpering the RF
choke just inside the front panel, as you suggest. (Incidentally, the
StationPro can be configured, if desired, so that the RF choke can be
jumpered at the transceiver end of the interface cable - at most a few
inches from the transceiver chassis. In some cases this has been a suitable
workaround to the RF choke problem.)

All of these problems are properly called "ground loops," in my opinion,
because they are caused by undesired currents resulting from AC voltage
differences between the transceiver chassis and the chasses of peripheral
equipment. Back in my graduate student days, I worked on experiments
involving voltage measurements of picovolts (measured on materials in a
supercooled liquid helium bath).  As you can imagine, keeping track of the
various grounds and signal paths was quite a challenge!
73,
Jim W8ZR

W4TV
> [...]
> or Kenwood transceiver, you will find that the "mic return" connects
> to the emitter (discrete transistor preamp) or non-inverting input
> (op amp amplifier) of the microphone preamp or amplifier and that
> point is connected to the transceiver chassis via an RF choke for
> DC.
>
> When the mic return is not *tightly bonded* to the chassis, it causes
> currents on the return to find their way to the chassis through the RF
> choke and in doing so produces a voltage in series with the mic audio
> (I^2*Z).  It is not rocket science and not "new."  It is amazingly poor
> design - one "designer" coping from another - nobody knowing what they
> are doing and why.  A lot like the blind copying of "floating" grids
> in common grid triode amplifiers.
>
> Quite simply, when a transceiver and an audio processing accessory
> - whether it be W8ZR's Station Pro or a microHAM microKEYER II -
> are connected to a common power supply (at the power supply), some
> fraction of the current drawn by the transceiver will return to the
> power supply via the connections (PTT return, Computer control return,
> mic shield, FSK return, Key return, headphone return, etc.) between
> the transceiver and accessory device.  Unless *all* of those returns
> - *including the mic return* - are terminated to the transceiver
> chassis that current will appear across the RF choke (remember the
> current varies at at an RF rate) which will act like an old fashioned
> choke modulator.
>
> It doesn't take much current through that RF choke to generate enough
> modulation to be a problem.  Typical audio levels for a microphone
> vary from around 5 mV for a dynamic (Kenwood, Yaesu) mic to around
> 25 mV for an electret (Icom) element.
>
> There are a large number of "band aids" for the design problem in the
> amateur transceiver mic inputs.  *ALL* of them work by reducing the
> current in the returns between the transceiver mic amp and the
> accessory.  They are as varied as the designer - including reducing
> the resistance in the power supply jack on the rig (multiple pins
> in parallel), increasing the gauge of the power cord, bonding the
> respective chassis together with wide strap, providing power to the
> accessory from an *isolated* power supply or from an aux port on the
> rig, etc.  However, none of them really fix the design flaw in the
> transceiver which would generally be as simple as connecting the
> mic return directly to the chassis at the mic jack and connecting
> a jumper across the offending RF choke.
>
> The amateur manufacturers (except Elecraft, in part) have not learned
> what Muncie showed decades ago in professional audio equipment.
>
> 73,
>
>     ... Joe, W4TV
>

> On 6/7/2013 11:38 AM, Carl wrote:
> > It is obvious that you have drifted off the subject which related to the
> > Station Pro which Jim thouroughly explained the ground loop issue.

White

06/07/13