[Amps] Monitoring temperature

Fuqua, Bill L wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Sun Jun 9 18:31:22 EDT 2013

The problem is that in most cases the sensor is connected to something that is likely to be sensitive to
RF unless you use an analog meter with a thermocouple.'
   You could use an aftermarket engine head temperature gauge available at most auto parts stores.
Many are just a thermocouple and analog meter, but very poor resolution and accuracy. Usually go up to
250 Degrees F.
   All sorts of digital meters and thermocouple to go with them are available on ebay but they are just as likely
to be affected by RF. I got one digital one with 4 selectable inputs from China for around $20 or so. Just add
a type K thermocouple and you are ready to go....maybe after adding lots of bypass capacitors.
  A DC source, thermistor and analog meter would work. May need to play with balanced bridge arrangement and
then calibration using a water bath and accurate thermometer.
Good luck.
  Don't forget the cheap infrared Harbor Freight hand held. But it has problems. Need a good flat black surface
and have to have it aimed right at the device, it does not measure a small area either... may still be affected by
RF.

73
Bill wa4lav