[Amps] Miller-Larson effect on thoriated tungsten filaments / neat electronic soft-start

Leigh Turner invertech at frontierisp.net.au
Tue Jun 25 04:21:13 EDT 2013

Yes those GE CL-60 NTC inrush limiting thermistors are helpful albeit still
yield a fairly fast rise time constant in the filament voltage.  The far
gentler slow 3 to 4 second ramp up from the Triac controller is more
elegant. The slow soft-start circuit is based on the ON Semiconductor
TDA1085C IC chip and a 40A Triac.

In fact I've also got a couple of CL-60 thermistors (one in each leg) the
primary of the Kenwood TL922 amp's filament transformer to trim / fine-tune
the steady-state filament voltage measured right at the tube socket to circa
4.9 Volts, as the factory stock filament voltage is on the high side; around
5.2 to 5.3 Volts. That slight over voltage can also shorten the 3-500Z tube
emission life.

Leigh

VK5KLT

  _____