[Amps] Freescale LDMOS devices / load mismatch survival

Peter Frenning [OZ1PIF] peter at frenning.dk
Mon Mar 11 04:14:34 EDT 2013

Den 11-03-2013 09:01, Steve Thompson skrev:
> The video is, indeed, impressive - but it could also give a false
> impression. The transistor operating spec. is 100us pulses at 20% duty
> cycle - 100us on, 400us off. Looking at the current drawn during the
> variable load pull test, it's not running cw. Also, the test is being
> done at 200MHz and ruggedness doesn't necessarily translate to lower
> frequencies for those thinking of hf applications.
>
> At 100us long pulses, the die inside probably isn't reaching the peak
> temperature for any given dissipation which makes high VSWR survival
> easier.
>
> F1JRD tested Freescale devices with all phases of high load VSWR
> running 10ms pulses, low duty cycle. They survived, so a trip circuit
> acting faster than that should protect them. I'd expect NXP parts to
> be similar.
>
> Steve
I, inadvertently, tested mine when the output coax relay gave up it's
ghost, see the pictures toward the bottom of the page:
http://www.frenning.dk/OZ1PIF_HOMEPAGE/LDMOS_SSPA.html
The LDMOS survived! I was running Digimode at about the 750W level when
it failed.

--
Vy 73 de OZ1PIF/5Q2M, Peter

** Women and cats will do as they      **
** please, and men and dogs should     **
** relax and get used to the idea.     **
**            -- Robert A. Heinlein    **
email: peter(no-spam filler)@frenning.dk
http://www.frenning.dk/oz1pif.htm
Ph. +45 4619 3239/ +45 2332 9464
Snailmail: