[Amps] Coupling a blower to an air system socket

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Sun Mar 17 10:10:09 EDT 2013

> On 3/16/2013 11:10 PM, Paul Hewitt wrote:
>> Greetings Ian
>> Besides the lower back pressure advantage of blowing into the anode
>> compartment, this method also cools the tank components.  This helps
>> reduce
>> themal tuning drift in very hi-Q tanks.
>> 73, Paul
>
> One thing to remember about external anode tubes. They  often have cooling
> requirements listed as so many cfm at a given back pressure,
>
> I do not know of any way to achieve the required air flow at a reduced
> back pressure other than an exhaust fan reducing the exhaust pressure thus
> making it a little easier to get more cooling air through.
> I believe Emtron and OM both use this approach on some models.
>
> OTOH  is relatively easy to raise the back pressure required for a given
> flow with obstructions
>
> 73
>
> Roger (K8RI)

Many sockets dont offer any specs either so it becomes a guessing game by
the time youre thru.

Eimac had some of the most restrictive sockets with the klugey aluminum ones
used with the 4-400A and 4-1000A. They were plentiful and cheap in surplus
but the noise from the blowers was intense so hams started trimming the tube
base holes and notches for less restriction and smaller blowers.

Carl
KM1H