[Amps] Coupling a blower to an air system socket

John Lyles jtml at losalamos.com
Sun Mar 17 16:48:02 EDT 2013

Good summary of the actual mechanism of cooling finned anodes in tubes,
Ian. I might mention that hams designing with these tubes should always
consider the air density where they plan to operate their amplifier.
Makes a significant difference if it is going to be 3000 meters up on a
mountaintop or at sea level. Fans must be selected with this in mind.
When I test them with amplifiers, I make a test bench where I run the
blower into a circuit, all the while observing the airflow with
anemometer and pressure meter through a straight laminar flow section.
Then plot the operating point on the fan curves, and see if it is close
to a bad regime. Its best to operate in the zone where a small pressure
change doesn't cause a drastic fluctuation in flow and vice versa. It
helps to have a variable speed blower for the first tests, as you can
optimize your fan speed, noise to get exactlym the flow that Eimac or
others want without overblowing with subsequent noise.
73
John
K5PRO