[Amps] SB-200 QSK mod info

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Wed Mar 27 08:00:48 EDT 2013

Vasily,

Nice set of measurements.  From what I can see, each relay is switching
quite fast with the RF output relay lagging the RF input relay and bias by
roughly 0.5 ms.  This shouldn't be a problem with any modern transceiver.
>From past measurements, transceivers like the Icom 7700/7800, and K3 all
supply RF > 9 ms after amp key line closure.  Still, for someone who seeks
perfection, it may be a concern in that the event order is misplaced due to
electromechanical delays.

You can solve the problem with hardware, but that will add more circuit
complexity.  One possible solution would make use of CMOS 4538 dual
monostable chips that allow you to trigger events on the leading or trailing
edge of a pulse.  In the past, I've used those in several applications and
with a bit of care taken, CMOS can be relatively immune to RF.  Of course,
you could always create delays in other ways using R/C combinations that
drive say...a transistor switch.

Another solution is one I developed a couple months ago.  It uses either an
Arduino Nano or 16F88 PIC microcontroller to precisely control all switching
elements.  However, it also adds another layer of protection beyond just
proper sequencing:   RF is sampled before each switching event to ensure
that hot-switching never occurs.  As the microcontroller detects a fault
condition, the microcontroller inhibits the switching event and then pulses
one of two timing error LEDs -- one for leading edge faults, the other for
trailing edge faults.  So, it can be a valuable timing diagnostic tool in
the absence of a scope.  Probably the most beneficial attribute of a
microcontroller in this application is that timing fixes are changed
strictly through USB port uploads.  The hardware is fixed; only the code
changes.  The code also supports 3-stage dynamic EBS "hang" bias, with hang
time adjustable between 0 - 255 ms in 1 ms increments.

The C++ code and logic flow chart is posted on my QRZ.com page.  Structured
logic is used and each line of code is documented to allow for easy
modification.  The first set of "S-QSK" boards have arrived and I'm now
starting to validate the PCB layout.  On my QRZ.com page, you will see that
the board is incredibly dense for its small size but this allows the board
to be installed into most any amp.  A Remote RF Sensor is also being tested.
This allows an amp builder to place the RF sensor away from the
microcontroller board, if desired.

Paul, W9AC