[Amps] odd problem with Yaesu Quadra vl-1000 amp

Chris Miller c_miller_1 at hotmail.com
Thu May 2 23:53:49 EDT 2013

A little further progress, I had a chance last night to check the 48v
supplies with the scope and all seem to be good for regulation with no sign
of rf on the power.  Line regulation is about 3 to 4 volts of voice ripple.
Bias seems to have nearly no ripple on modulation and is sitting at about 9
volts before entering into the pa modules.

I took a detour after that to fix up the display lights and after that work
was done I noticed tonight that the display lights were flickering ever so
slightly.  It traced down to the control cable connectors between the power
supply and the pa.  This line supplies the power to the control board, the
display board, and also supplies the power for the ALC circuitry.  I think
that maybe (crossing fingers) this may be the source.  Cleaned the
connectors and placed deoxit on the contacts and things seem to be stable on
the lights.  Bench test and on air testing, while monitoring my audio, seem
to sound ok.  Comm test set shows the noise sidebands a little lower now,
about -45 dB.  I am going to try a group that is familiar with the nature of
the signal from before to see if this tagged the problem.