[Amps] chassis maker?

peter chadwick g8on at fsmail.net
Sat May 4 11:02:08 EDT 2013

Colin,

The aeroplane is likely to be less forgiving of poor riveting than a chassis, though!

 Message Received: May 04 2013, 03:27 PM
 From: "Colin Lamb" <k7fm at teleport.com>
 To: amps at contesting.com
 Subject: Re: [Amps] chassis maker?

 It is not too difficult to build your own chassis.  Laying out the metal (with all the required ears) is the most demanding part.  A shear is not necessary.  Cutting  exactly is the most difficult part, but metal fab shops can cut it to shape.  Although I have a large metal brake, the $50 work quite well.  For boxes, I just saw up some surplus angle iron that is the proper length.  To finish the boxes, pop rivets can be used, although real rivets look much better.  A hand riveter will do most of the riveting required for a box.

 Find a new friend who is building a metal airplane.  Chances are they have all the tools and will help you learn how to do it.  Or, build an airplane to give you the skill to build a box.

 73,  Colin  K7FM