[Amps] Pre-Distortion Linearizer

Joe Giacobello, K2XX k2xx at swva.net
Sat May 4 13:33:00 EDT 2013

IIRC, back in the old days of SSB, it was recommended to run one's
exciter at maximum output and swamp the excess drive with a resistive
pad.  The reason was that the exciters obtained their maximum carrier
and sideband suppression and minimum spurious products at their maximum
output.  I don't think that condition has changed, but I doubt that many
of us are using such a swamping pad these days for amps that require
less than 100W drive.  How much would be gained toward the goal of
reducing IMD and splatter if such a practice were adopted today?

73, Joe
K2XX