[Amps] Experiences shipping a Commander II with the XFMRinstalled

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Sat May 25 20:18:53 EDT 2013

> On 2013-05-25, at 5:40 PM, K1TTT wrote:
>
>> Remove the transformer and the tube(s)... if the construction of that is
>> similar to other commander amps the base that the transformer is on is
>> not
>> strong enough to handle much shock, or even a long time on it's side.
>> You
>> also want to remove the tube(s) and wrap in bubble wrap or other shock
>> absorbing material, instead of boxing separately they can be packed in
>> the
>> space for the transformer.
>

> You NEVER want to ship ANY rig with the tubes installed...!
>
> I did that once with a Heath monobander to the USA: a large tube came
> loose in transit, & it rolled around wrecking itself & the rest of the
> tubes in the rig with it!
>
> And shipping a piece of gear with a heavy power transformer installed
> inside is just asking for trouble...
>
> I've had great luck literally stuffing the innards of tube radios with
> crushed newspaper prior to mailing: the newsprint keeps everything in
> place & intact...and if you use enough of it, even power transformers
> won't go on a rampage...
>
> ~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

The tube in that amp is rated for mobile and aircraft service, and securely
clamped in place.
Many of the Russian tubes rode in tanks.

And you think a little UPS/Fed Wrex trip will hurt them?

OTOH, it certainly doesnt hurt to ship seperately although Ive shipped amps
all over the world with them in place and no damage....less hassle at
customs also.

Glass tubes are altogether different

Carl
KM1H