[Amps] Plate modulation from power supply ripple?

Markku Oksanen ww1c at outlook.com
Fri Oct 4 02:28:42 EDT 2013

Gary, ALL
As far as I understand modulation, mixing and multiplication are just about the same thing.  So, if there is an input port to an amplifier that changes the gain or in other words the output level when all other things remain the same, the outcome is a signal which is AM modulated.  An amplifier plate "port" causes gain to vary up and down, this constitutes multiplication between the input RF and the hum or AF signal.  As far as I understand, there is no need to run a low level active mixer in class C UNLESS you want to mix two signals coming in from the same port, not from two ports that that both control the "gate" or the gain of the amplifier.
Whether theory allows it or not, my thinking is that power supply ripple does cause some AM on all high level tube amplifiers.  However how much is the question, if 10% ripple gives 10% modulation that would mean side-bands at -20 (power) just 60Hz from the carrier.  And if the modulation 10% is not directly related to the ripple level, then even less noticeable side-bands would come out.  I think this gets interesting with 3 phase power when here in EU where the ripple voltage is either 150 or 300 Hz depending on the rectifiers.  As you may know, 3 phase 380/240 power to a private residences is the norm in OH at least.
So, if these side-bands are there, what is the level? Has anybody noticed them in real life?
BR.
MarkkuFrom: garyschafer at comcast.net