[Amps] high voltage fuses

Vic K2VCO k2vco.vic at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 12:13:53 EDT 2013

We used to call this the 'voltmeter method' of measuring current. You put a resistor in
series with a milliammeter to convert it into a voltmeter -- and then use it to measure
the voltage drop across another resistor (the shunt) in series with the load.

If you choose the resistors so that the voltage across the shunt when the meter reads
full-scale is just below the forward voltage of the diodes, then the meter can't absorb
more current than a little more than the full-scale amount.

Use fixed-width font to see this picture:

       Series R
     ----vvvv--------------->
     |            |   |   |
     |            <   |   |
   ****           <  ***  V   Diodes
  * MA *  Shunt R <   ^  ***
   ****           <   |   |
     |            |   |   |
     |---------------------->

So if you want to measure 1 amp full scale you might make the shunt resistor 0.45 ohms.
That would produce 0.45 volt at full scale. You could use diodes with a forward voltage
drop of 0.51 V, like the 1N5408.

The series resistor would be R = (0.45 / Im) - Ri, where Im is the full-scale current of
the meter movement and Ri is the internal resistance of the meter.

On 10/10/2013 8:34 AM, Bill Turner wrote:
> ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)
>
> On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 07:57:20 -0700, Hardy wrote:
>
>> Bill,
>> I don't get the meter connection. Do you mean a diode in series with a
>> resistor and then that series combination across the meter?
>> N7RT
>
> REPLY:
>
> No. The meter and resistor are in series. The diode is placed across the
> both of them. In other words, the diode goes from the side of the meter
> which is not connected to the resistor to the side of the resistor which is
> not connected to the meter. The point where the resistor and meter are
> connected is not connected to anything else.
>
> I always use two diodes, back to back just in case of reverse current.
>
> 73, Bill W6WRT

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/