[Amps] repair of older Command Tech VHF-2000 amp

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Mon Oct 14 14:40:58 EDT 2013

Teflon is very prone to cold flow as are some foam cables.
Neither should be subjected to sharp bends and the manufacturers specs
should be followed.

RG-213/214 type dielectrics are much less prone to cold flow but are very
susceptible to heat flow from the center conductor.

Use of the correct cable and installation procedure for the job usually
works.

Several VHF amps use a coax stub filter to meet FCC requirements. If the end
isnt properly finished corona can develop and eat away the dielectric, even
Teflon.

My 432 amp is ex military and was used as a 1000W output AM linear and the
internal interconnects to the Type N output connector have no sharp bends,
just a few gentle swoops.

Carl
KM1H