[Amps] More on two pin 220vac

Charles Harpole k4vud at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 14 21:16:50 EDT 2013

Sorry to belabor this some, but if we read Mr.  Parascondola's first message about the presence of voltage inside some Ameritron amplifiers, he seemed to say that it did matter which side of the hot and neutral of the two-wire supply 220ACV was connected to the amplifier AC input.  Does it matter?

Please comment if this above statement is true or false.  Thanks.

Note that some Ameritron amplifiers fuse only one side of the incoming 220VAC.

Clearly u guys have never been to many places in the world. YES YES YES about 80% of Thailand buildings have TWO holes in the 220VAC wall sockets and ONLY TWO HOLES.  One side is definitely hot and the other side is definitely neutral.  The pin sockets, the holes, are not marked and not keyed in any way.  There is NO GROUND present by any means...no wire ground, no BX cable nor conduit.  You can NOT obtain 110VAC by splitting the 220VAC with one side to the hot and one side to ground because the voltage between the pins is 220VAC and the voltage between the hot pin and earth ground is 220VAC.  Neutral pin to earth ground is about 8VAC but that varies from location to location.

Please read my exacting language carefully.  Thank you very much.

73

Charles Harpole, HS0ZCW

k4vud at hotmail.com

P.S. An extra fun note is that the "outlet strips" sold in Thailand have holes in the sockets for a ground pin, but the strip has only two wires from the strip to the plug for the wall.  Further, the type of strips sold here for spike protection and other ground related functions (RFI killing, etc.) do have a three wire plug, but they plug into a two wire socket with no ground.  Makes me wonder is there is any protection function of these three wire "outlet strips."