[Amps] Electrical Distribution Methods

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Tue Oct 15 10:39:19 EDT 2013

Peter,

That's a good explanation.

> With Protective Multiple Earthing, provided there is enough distributed
> grounding of the neutral, that isn't a problem.

That's an area of concern of mine in one application of the U.S. electrical
distribution system.  Many of us have likely noticed that one terminal of a
pole-mounted utility company residential split-phase transformer is
connected to one of three hot phases in a multi-phase distribution system --
or single-phase distribution where the one hot phase is split from an
upstream three-phase source.  In both cases, the primary return is connected
to the Multi-Ground Neutral (MGN) messenger cable (AKA "strand").  That
cable is bonded and earthed down each and every utility pole.  This cable
may also serve double-duty for attachment of either CATV or telephony
cables -- or where telephony and CATV is separated on different strands,
they are periodically bonded together.

It's unnerving to think that the bare copper bus wire that runs down each
pole is really connected to many, many KV and the only thing keeping a
barefooted kid safe when s/he touches an accidentally lifted/unearthed
ground wire is that (hopefully) the MGN cable strand has excellent
connectivity to earth on many poles up and downstream from the pole in
question.  I understand as a matter of economics it must be this way for
single-phase distribution as is common in rural areas.  But when a 240V/120V
split-phase transformer is hung on a three-phase pole, why can't the primary
connect between two phases instead of one phase and the MGN?  I can't see a
direct economic impact in this case apart from perhaps better lightning
mitigation when one side of the utility transformer primary is grounded.

Sorry for drifting the subject off even further (notice the new subject
line) but it's been a nagging question of mine.  In a past life, I was
Director of Engineering for several telecom and broadband firms and this
issue was raised from time-to-time (usually when a cable tech was injured)
with no clear answer ever obtained from the utility companies.

Paul, W9AC