[Amps] Large Variac controlling HV power supply

peter chadwick g8on at fsmail.net
Thu Oct 31 09:12:17 EDT 2013

I have seen it said that it isn't a good idea because the variac regulation isn't that good. Having said that, in my youth, I worked on a tx where we had a fairly large 3 phase variac feeding a 25kV transformer, and the output was wound down a bit to give us 18kV at 4.5 amps.

Admittedly, a choke input filter, so it wasn't wound down too far. So it should be OK.

73

Peter G3RZP
 Message Received: Oct 31 2013, 12:28 PM