[Amps] odd problem with Henry 5K

Gary K9GS garyk9gs at wi.rr.com
Thu Oct 31 21:28:29 EDT 2013

Hello Louis,

I have heard that some tubes, I think tetodes, will radiate broadband
noise if not completely cut off.  Not sure if this happens with triodes
though.  I check of the bias voltages would be a starting point.

I'm sure others have more to add to this.

On 10/30/2013 2:36 PM, Louis Parascondola wrote:
> Had a friend ask me about an odd problem with a Henry 5K running a pair of 3CX1200A7 tubes.  Since 10 meters has been opened he has been using it.  He discovered what he called a "birdie" type signal on his radio when receiving on 10 meters.  Said he heard it spaced every couple of KHZ as he tuned around the 10  meter band.  At first he didn't know what it was hut said he traced it to the 5K amp.  he said if he detuned the load or tune on the amp the signal went away.  He said it only appeared when the amp was properly tuned up for 10 meters.  The amp was just on, not in transmit,  just on and he heard the signal.  Detune it and its gone.  Ideas?  Does not happen on any other band.

Gary K9GS

Greater Milwaukee DX Association: http://www.gmdxa.org
Society of Midwest Contesters: http://www.w9smc.com
CW Ops #1032   http://www.cwops.org